What if I need help affording groceries during my pregnancy?

All active-duty women and spouses of service members need access to nutritious food during pregnancy. If you can’t afford to eat right while you’re pregnant, you may be eligible for programs that can help.

The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program provides supplemental foods to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding up to an infant’s first birthday, non-breastfeeding women up to 6 months after infant’s birth, infants up to age one, and children 5 or younger who are at nutritional risk. Visit the WIC eligibility web page to determine if you qualify. WIC Overseas is available for military members living abroad to use at overseas commissaries and NEXMARTs.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) offers a debit-like card for foods such as fruits, vegetables, cereal, bread, meat, fish, poultry, and dairy products. It can be used at retail food stores, commissaries, and even farmers’ markets. Use the SNAP screening tool to check if you are eligible.

Other Food and Nutrition Service programs also are available to active-duty service members and families.

CHAMP wants to know:
How useful was the information in this article?