Use this “handy” guide to estimate portion sizes as part of your healthy eating plan.
Your Handy Guide to Portion Sizes
- Your fist equals about 1 cup of milk or raw vegetables.
- Your thumb equals about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter or salad dressing.
- Your cupped palm equals about ½ cup of cooked fruit, vegetables, beans, or starch.
- Your thumbnail equals about 1 teaspoon of butter or margarine.
- Your open palm equals about 3 ounces of cooked meat, fish, or poultry.
Note: You might have larger or smaller hands but generally speaking your hand size is relative to your body size and, as a result, your portion needs.
Logo: USU Uniformed Services University and CHAMP Consortium for Health and Military Performance
Human Performance Resources by CHAMP: HPRC-online.org